ShopWell has added a new goal, Pregnancy, for women who are at that stage in their lives. This new goal will help a user navigate the grocery store for foods recommended and not recommended during pregnancy.
When the Pregnancy goal is selected the goal will also pre-select specific Wants and Don’t Wants based on what is recommended for women who are pregnant. ShopWell will also alert you to food products that should be avoided during pregnancy based on Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines and the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) nutrition guidelines for pregnancy. ShopWell will also display a statement for why the product should be avoided. Such foods recommended to be avoided during pregnancy include:
- Unpasteurized foods (including milk and dairy)
- Luncheon meat, processed meat, hot dogs, and sausages (unless they are heated to steaming before eating)
- Smoked seafood that is refrigerated (canned is recognized as safe)
- Fish high in mercury
- Undercooked or raw meat, fish, poultry, and eggs
ShopWell will also identify certain food products that should be consumed in moderation during pregnancy. You will notice this symbol on a product page for foods to be consumed in moderation. An explanation will be visible under the Why? tab on the app and on the product’s page on the website. The foods that should be consumed in moderation include:
- Caffeine – it is recommended to consume less than 200 mg/day (approximately one 12 fluid ounce cup of coffee)
- Tuna – it is recommended to consume less than 6 ounces/week (canned light tuna is considered safe to consume in larger quantities)
Download the app in the iTunes and Google Play app stores or update your ShopWell app to get the newest features.
For more information about nutrition during pregnancy you can check out the following sites:
Nutrition during pregnancy (Guidelines by the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
FDA topics for pregnant women (Guidelines by the Food and Drug Administration)
Food safety checklist for pregnancy (Food Safety Check List for Pregnancy)