This week's recipe comes from Cynthia over on the What A Girl Eats blog. Cynthia has a great collection of healthy recipes (and indulgent ones) over on her blog that are definitely worth exploring! You can find Cynthia on Facebook, follow her on Twitter and Instagram, and check out her Pinterest boards!
With the start of the school year, morning times can get pretty hectic trying to get everyone dressed, fed, backpacks packed, and out the door in time. This recipe developed by Cynthia is a great choice for a quick breakfast packed full of flavor and protein for the busy weekday mornings. Pair the Mexican egg cups with a piece of fruit and a glass of water or milk and you have a balanced breakfast. The little cups are a perfect way to portion out servings for kids, big or small, and adults too!
These super easy Mexican Egg Cups , a take-off on Huevos Ranchero, are perfect for a brunch (or breakfast). Baking them in a muffin tin enables you to cook a dozen (or more) at once. You can jazz them up with hotter sauce, depending on your crowd.
Small corn tortillas, about 4″ in diameter, fit into the muffin tin perfectly, but a larger tortilla would work as well. This is just a variation on traditional shirred or baked eggs.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 small 10 ounce can of enchilada sauce, I used medium hot
- Grated cheese, any kind, I used sharp cheddar, but Mexican cojita or pepper jack would be great as well.
- Homemade or fresh deli style salsa
- Cilantro, chopped
- Green onions, sliced
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil the sides and bottom of a muffin tin.
- Soften 12 small, 4" tortillas in the oven or microwave, until soft and flexible, about 25 seconds for 4 tortillas.
- Press tortillas into each cup.
- Add one tablespoon of enchilada sauce into the bottom of each tortilla cup.
- Add one tablespoon( or so) of grated cheese.
- Crack an egg on top of sauce and cheese mixture.
- Season with kosher salt and cracked pepper.
- Top each egg with 1-2 teaspoons additional enchilada sauce.
- Bake in the center of the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Top with salsa, sour cream, cilantro and green onions.
What are some of your go to breakfast ideas for the family when school starts again?