This week's post was written by the dietitians over at HealthyDiningFinder.com on their Ask The Dietitians blog. ShopWell is focused on helping you discover better food choices in the grocery store through a personalized score and Trade Ups based on your nutrition goals. Healthy Dining Finder has you covered when you’re dining out! On the Healthy Dining Finder website you can search for dietitian-approved menu choices at participating restaurants. Now you can enjoy dining out without the guesswork and worry about what is healthy!
Here are some of our favorite fall spices and the reasons you’ll want to savor them.
Just as fall makes us start thinking of cool-weather fruits and vegetables like pumpkin, apples and yams, this season brings to mind certain spices with warming characteristics. It’s not just warmth and comfort that many of these spices contribute to your meals, though. Research has shown that spices can not only add flavor and reduce sodium but also deliver a number of health benefits. Incorporating them can be as easy as adding a sprinkle of cinnamon to coffee or oatmeal, topping sliced fruit with nutmeg, ordering a turmeric-rich curry or enjoying a cup of warming ginger tea with your meal.
These are some of our favorite fall spices and the reasons you’ll want to savor them:
- Contains powerful antioxidants
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- May reduce the risk of heart disease
- Is known to regulate blood sugar levels
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties
- Is believed to help enhance concentration
- Can help clear nasal congestion
- Helps with bad breath
- Helps prevent heart disease and lower LDL levels
- Good for cancer prevention
- May help prevent Alzheimer’s disease
- May improve blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance
- Improves digestion
- Can reduce pain and inflammation
- May help prevent the common cold
- Helps overcoming nausea
- Can improve absorption of essential nutrients in the body
Fall spices like these can make for a tempting choice at your favorite restaurants. Look for Healthy Dining menu choices like these at restaurants near you to add some healthy spices to your diet.